Little Box Brownie: Cinnamon Doughnuts

Cinnamon Doughnuts

A few weekends ago, my partner and I went to visit his sister and her family. On the way we stopped at a small farmers market, where we brought some freshly cooked, and still warm doughnuts. The smell was irresistible, I nearly gobbled them up on the way. I'm pleased to say that I resisted until we got there. However since then I have had the desire to make some of my own fresh doughnuts as I have never attempted to make them before. I even had to buy a doughnut cutter from a local shop, I never even knew they made doughnut cutters, I had planned on using some round cookie cutters, but low and behold I found the perfect tool for the job.

Cinnamon Doughnuts

Cinnamon Doughnuts

Cinnamon Doughnuts




I have to say it was quite fun learning how to make a doughnut, and is definitely something I would do again. The smell of freshly cooked doughnuts wafting through the house is quite simply homely.

Doughnuts

3 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/4 cut of brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
7g of yeast

75 grams melted butter
3 eggs
1 cup of warm milk


Place the flour, sugar, yeast and cinnamon in to a bowl. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the eggs, milk and butter and mix until combined. Remove from the bowl and knead the dough on a well floured board until the dough is smooth. Should take about 5 to 10 minutes. Then place in an oiled bowl, cover in cling wrap and place in a warm spot for about 30minutes or until the mixture doubles. Remove from the bowl and knock the mixture back (re-knead it). Then roll the dough out and cut into doughnut shapes.
Heat some oil in a deep pot until hot. Place the doughnuts in the pot one at a time cooking on each side until golden, and cooked through.

Makes 10

Please check your first doughnut to make sure its cooked all the way through as this is something I didn't do, and I had a few raw ones. I can tell from experience, once they have cooled a little and you pop them back in the oil they still wont cook on the inside, just get darker on the outside. Wasted doughnuts, is a very sad thing indeed :(