Little Box Brownie: Sugar + Cream

Sugar + Cream


Caramel, just sugar and cream, its irresistible! Especially when combined with my all time favourite food, Chocolate. This has to be the ultimate in sweet flavour combinations. This week has been a sugar overload to say the least.
First I made a chocolate mud cake, filled it with cream and molten caramel, then drizzled it with a chocolate ganache. 
The Chocolate mud cake recipe is one I came up with for a cook book that I have on the drawing cards. So one day when I find someone to publish it you can have the recipe or maybe email me and I could be persuaded to pass it on. The caramel recipe on the other hand you will find below. All the recipes are from the same recipe just more cream was added to thin it out.



Caramel Sauce

1 1/2 cups of sugar
50ml water
60ml cream
60ml golden syrup
125g butter

Place the sugar and water into a saucepan on a medium heat, stir until the sugar dissolves and it starts to boil. Let it boil until the syrup turns a golden colour. Then remove from the heat and stir in the cream, golden syrup and butter. Be careful not to burn yourself as the mixture will bubble up and let off steam. Use the caramel anyway you like I have given a few examples. 








I had some caramel sauce left over from the cake so put it in the fridge.  Once it had harden I removed it and rolled the caramel into balls. I melted some chocolate in the microwave and dropped the caramels into the chocolate and rolled them through until well coated. I used a small spoon to retrieve them and placed them on a tray to set. Perfect little treats to use any left over sauce. 


This Brownie recipe is from the fat witch cookbook, I wrote about fat witch brownies in another post. I have modified the recipe slightly and used the caramel sauce above instead of caramel lollies like the recipe suggests. I have to say the caramel sauce made these brownies truly delicious. The caramel sinks to the bottom and creates a soft chewy base. It does make them harder to remove from the tin however worth the extra effort for the taste. These brownies made a really luscious desert when you have guests, if you reserve some of the caramel sauce and pour over the top and add lashings of cream. Or alternatively great with a cuppa on their own.




Fat Witch Brownies

160g butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup of the caramel sauce from above

Pre heat the oven to 160C

Place the butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat on a medium temperature until they melt and combine. Set aside to cool slightly.

Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and beat until combine. Then sift in the flour and pour in the chocolate mixture. Stir until combine. Pour into a 20x30cm tin, lined with baking paper!!!! I can't stress that enough, you have to line it. Then pour the caramel sauce over the top, which you may need to heat slightly if it has cooled to get it to a pouring consistency. Place in the oven and cook for 35minutes.

This recipe is from 'Fat Witch Brownies' cookbook, with a few little changes due to my inability to follow a recipe to the tee. If you want the real recipe you should check out her book.