Little Box Brownie: Chocolate Pie

Chocolate Pie



Has anybody out there seen the movie Julie and Julia? I'm sure there are a few, if you haven't you need to crawl out of that rock you have been hiding under and go and rent it! What are you still doing here, go!! :) Its brilliant, I happen to love it. I'm sure the movie introduced many into the world of blogging and some of the amazing blogs out there where inspired by or started because of it.

I personally have never cooked a Julia Child's recipe, I know how can that be! The way people talk about her beef bourguignon I really must try it. I have looked at the recipe and thought, wow thats a bit full on, so have gone for something simpler.
I'm  sorry to tell you that today I'm not bringing you a Julia Child recipe, I am however bringing you the first thing you see Julie make in the movie when she has had a pretty depressing day, she comes home and says "I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say "nothing" I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk,it will get thick. It's such a comfort". Yep thats right folks I made that irresistible chocolate pie!!! 

Every time I watch the movie thats the recipe I want to make, forget Julia's recipes, I want chocolate pie! So last week when the movie aired on TV, I saw that pie and could resist no more. I did a quick google search and stumbled upon a blog that said they had the recipe and it happened to be the actual director of the movies chocolate pie, Nora Ephron. Sooooo there was no stopping me now that I had this hot little recipe in my hand. If you would like the true recipe find it on Sleepless Foodie blog, or use my slightly adjusted version, which of course is more chocolatey and an absolute winner. I think I might just have to make it every time the movie is on, I couldn't get enough of it.






Chocolate Pie

Base
1 packet (250g) of arrowroot biscuits
150g butter

Filling

3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornflour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
250g dark chocolate
3 egg yolks

Melt the butter in the microwave. Place the biscuits into the food processor and pulse until find bread crumbs. Pour in the butter and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into a round 20cm tin. Set aside

Place the sugar cornflour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
Place the chocolate and milk into a saucepan and heat until the chocolate melts, then pour in the sugar mixture and whisk. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes thick about the consistency of melted chocolate. Then whisk in the yolks while still on the heat, do this quickly so you don't get scrambled eggs. Keep whisking till it thickens then pour into the base. Place in the fridge for 3 hours. If you can wait that long!