Little Box Brownie: Peaches and Strawberry Slice

Peaches and Strawberry Slice

Peaches and Strawberry Slice


I know, I know, whats with all the strawberry recipes?? Well the simple fact is they're so incredibly cheap at the moment, every time I go past the veggie shop they call to me.
Buy me, buy me, they sing. They sit at the front of the shop and wait, I swear they do.

Who can resist a beautiful strawberry, who am I kidding - who can resist any kind of strawberry, even the not so good ones can be made into a beautiful pie, tart or cake. So these, not so beautiful strawberries that found their way home today, have been paired with some peaches, which also sat at the front of the shop and waited for me. Would you believe I went looking for apricots to make and apricot tart? Well, that was not meant to be as there was not a single apricot to be found. Anywhere.

I shall try not to bring you anymore strawberry dishes, but I'm not promising. Summer finished here in Australia on the 28th of February, so we are officially in Autumn (fall for all my American followers). I expect strawberries will soon be on there way out, and the winter fruit and veggies will be on their way in. So best to make the most of them while they're still around!!!

Shortcake slice

Peaches And Straberries

Slice with icing sugar


Peach and Strawberry Slice

Filling

7 fresh peaches
1/4 cup of water
8 strawberries chopped


Base/topping

200g butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder

Pre heat the oven to 175

Cut and de-seed the peaches into eighths. Place in a saucepan with the water and heat until the peaches become soft and start to break up. Remove from the heat and set aside
To make the base/topping, place the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together with and electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir until a dough forms.
Press 2/3 of the mixture into a lined 15x20cm tin. Then pour over the peaches, and press in the strawberries. With the remaining dough pull pieces off and place randomly over the top of the fruit until mostly covered. Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until golden.



Cut up slice


Rustic slice