Little Box Brownie: Plum Cake

Plum Cake



cut plum

Two days ago, I went to a cute little bakery/cafe, in Brunswick St. Where we had this amazing Hungarian Plum Cake, it was sweet and sour, moist yet dense. When I got home, I just had to have a go at making one.
There where some ups and downs along the way, I was after all having one of those days when you know you shouldn't have got out of bed.
Firstly, I completely forgot to add baking powder to the mixture, and only realised once I had poured half the mixture into the pan, so there I was scraping the mixture back into the bowl, and sprinkling in some baking powder, and trying to stir it in. Then once I had assembled the cake I thought, this cake tin is a little small, oh well, I'm not pouring it all out again I though, and sure enough when the cake rose it  looked like a big muffin top instead of rising nicely.
But eventually I got there in the end, sure its not the most glamourous cake, but it sure does taste good and thats all that really matters in the big scheme of things.

It's the perfect cake to make if you have a number of plums left over, you could make a few cakes and freeze them.

Let me know if you have a go at making it.

Soph xxx

bowl of plums

plums in a bowl

Plum cake with ice cream



Slice of plum cake

plum cake

Plum Cake


200g butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup of cornflour
3 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs, separated

1 kilo of plums


1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon 

Pre heat the oven to 200C



Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form, leave to the side.


In a separate bowl cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, with an electric beater. Add the flour and cornflour a little at a time until all the flour is incorporated, it will resemble bread crumbs. Then stir through the yolks, once these are incorporated add the egg whites and stir through.

Pour half the mixture into a lined 25cm cake tin, make sure its quite high as this cake will rise a fair bit.



Cut the plums in half and de-seed. Add the sugar and cinnamon into a bowl and toss the plums through, then press the plums into the mixture skin side down, pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top and press some more plums in and then cover with the remaining mixture.



Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked.


plum cake

plum cake

plum cake